The Youth Art Fair is a developmental arts program offered to young people in 4th – 12th grades. The focus of the program is to provide an opportunity, outside of the classroom, where students who are interested in visual art can explore their creativity and get a glimpse into the world of a professional Art Fair artist. The Youth Art Fair program strives to inspire young artists to expand their idea of art and develop their own voice. They also learn about the jury process, pricing, customer service, and more.
The program culminates in a Youth Artists’ Market where participants display and sell their work at the Original Street Art Fair’s Townie Street Party being held on July 15, 2019. The number of participants accepted into this program is limited and young artists must go through a jury process in advance of the Youth Art Fair.
How to Apply to the Youth Art Fair:
- Attend ONE drop-in Jury Session.
- Fill out the Artist Registration online BEFORE attending the jury session. https://goo.gl/forms/fAsl1oAis0wi3FKi1
- Artist should bring 4 to 6 samples of artwork.
- Artist is required to bring a photo/image of their work to the jury session. (Photo/image will not be returned.)
- Artists must be in grades 4 - 12 at time of jury and reside in Washtenaw County.
- All artwork must be original and made by the artist or artist(s).
- Artist must attend one of the June Informational/Mentoring Meetings after acceptance.
What you need to know about jurying:
- Artists will meet one-on-one with a pair of jurors for a brief time.
- Artists should be able to talk about the work they make, about their art interests and how they plan to make enough art to sell at the Fair.
- Artists will be notified within two weeks if they are selected.
Dates of Drop-in Jury Sessions
Saturday, May 18th between 1 – 3:30PM
Tuesday, May 21st between 5 – 7:30PM
Location of Drop-in Jury Sessions
Ann Arbor District Library – Westgate Branch
2503 Jackson Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Large Meeting Rooms
*Parking is available in the lot behind the Library.
Other things to know:
- If invited, participation fee is $15.
- Only the body of work that was juried into the show may be displayed at the YAF.
- Artists must personally attend their booths and must be present during the entire selling time (5:00pm-9pm). Representatives, including family members, may not attend in place of the artist. Kids are encouraged to walk around and see the work of their fellow artists during the Fair, but tables cannot be left unattended.
- All work should be for sale.
- Sales should be on a “cash and carry” basis.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult during the Youth Art Fair.
- The following are absolutely prohibited:
- Use of licensed, trademarked, or copyrighted characters or names
- Services such as face painting, hair braiding or nail painting
- The sale of food
- Games involving prize-winning or raffles
- Work made from kits or molds